Setting marriage goals has become an annual tradition in our home for the past 18 years. As a matter of fact, we started setting goals for the new year together even before we were married during our short 8-month engagement. And you know what? Setting marriage goals has been revolutionary for our marriage. And here’s why: Because with a plan, we are able to work toward and achieve a common goal together for our future.
So one thing is certain, the best way for your marriage to thrive at the start of each new year is to sit down and talk about what you would like to achieve together. When setting your common goals, it is important to make sure that you are not neglecting your personal goals. We’ve learned to weave together our personal, family, and marriage goals in a way that compliment each other. This is a great way to make sure that no one is disappointed and no goal is left behind. And this also ensures that your new year is off to a phenomenal start! Today we are going to share with you 5 reasons for setting marriage goals for the new year – we hope this inspires you to take action and plan for the best year yet!
5 Reasons for Setting Marriage Goals
1. Because you want to have a successful life and marriage together. We cannot imagine a couple that stands at the marriage altar together not wanting to have a successful life together. But one thing that a successful marriage life requires is setting goals to accomplish along the way. For instance, if you want to save money to pay cash for a vacation next year but don’t set a plan in motion for your spending, do you think you will get there? Maybe. But it’s unlikely. Rather, you and your spouse need to sit down to discuss and set measurable financial goals to make sure you are able to find the vacation money in your budget.
It is best that both spouses are in agreement with the plan so that you can get there quicker. If only one spouse is doing all the work, it can cause division and frustration in your marriage, and no one likes that. Successful lives require goal setting. Successful marriages require agreement and a unified vision. Remember what the Bible says in Proverbs 29:18…
2. Because it allows you and your spouse to talk about your hopes and dreams. We believe that one of the many reasons our marriage is constantly thriving and growing is simply because we dare to hope and dream together. We always make a point to sit down and talk about our hopes and dreams making several short-term goals throughout each year. However, we have noticed how epic each new year is when we come up with a yearly plan for the brand new year.
3. Because everyone likes a fresh start. Do you have goals you didn’t accomplish this past year? That’s okay. Refocus, regroup, and come up with a new plan of attack together. Make this the year that your unfinished goals or disappointments are turned around. One great thing about being married is that you have a partner to help you through everything! And making goals is no exception. We find that a fresh start helps give us the momentum and encouragement we need to create another great year together.
4. Because every good thing can be even better. We truly believe that our marriage is getting better and better with age. But how? By planning what we want to see our marriage look like next month, next year, and into eternity. Without a plan we cannot take action, and without action we will never see change nor get where we desire to be in our marriage. Could your marriage use some help? Then make a plan. Is your marriage great? That’s good. But even if your marriage is great, don’t let that fool you; it can become even greater!
We invite you to check out our exclusive Goal Setting Planner for Couples to help you achieve the marriage you desire!
5. Because if we don’t look ahead, we’ll never move forward. We don’t believe that anyone wants to stay in the same place their entire marriage. A healthy, thriving marriage will always be growing and changing as the couple grows together in wisdom and love. So keep planning to get where it is that you and your spouse desire to go. Anyone who has made it to the age where you can legally marry has been around long enough to know that things don’t just happen, you have to have a plan to get things started.
We sincerely hope that this article may help spur along some of you who have neglected to set a plan and vision for your marriage. As you can see, setting marriage goals for the new year can be a great source of unity and strength in your marriage. As you continue to work together and strive toward a better marriage nothing will be able to stop you from accomplishing your dreams together. Be persistent, patient, and proactive about your marriage goals and you will make it across the finish line! We are rooting you on and are excited to see what the new year holds for each of you!
What are some ways that you and your spouse set goals for your marriage? We’d love to hear your ideas!
More to consider…